Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?

“Can you hear me”, now is a line from a cell phone advertisement.  It is meant to convey the vastness of the company’s cell coverage.

But I want to twist that message.  Yup, consider it to be ad evolution.  I see a message inside this line and I am going to use it to my advantage.

God asks the same question of you every single day.  That’s right he is speaking, calling, and communicating every moment of every day.  Can you hear Him now?

We often can’t hear Him because we have chosen not to listen.  We ignore His language of love, and do not recognize His ways of speaking.  The less we try to listen the more we lose an ability to hear.

Even when we do try to listen, we often can’t hear.  I find this very frustrating.  Why can’t I hear Him when I want to hear Him?  Not sure I have a satisfactory answer so I keep asking the question.  I’ll write more about this mystery later.

I wish I would have known that listening is really important.  I mean, I heard you have two ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you speak.  Of course, I interpreted this to suit my personal agenda.  Hey, if everybody had two ears, they would be able to listen to twice as much as I had to say.

Listening to what others are saying is vital to living in relationships with others.  Listen to hear the stories of the heart.  You have to focus and pay attention in order to really hear what someone else is saying.
We often only listen so that we can say something in return.  We treat conversations as if they are competitions, trying to tell the best story and thus be more interesting than the person we are with.  We listen only to get others to pay attention to us.

Listen to the stories others tell you.  Pay attention to them. Get yourself out of the way so you can hear their heart.

I never really developed this skill until later in life.  I wish I had exercised my listening muscle earlier.  I know what it feels like to have someone listen to my heart and hear what my soul yearns for. 

Lately God has been telling me to listen.  I don’t hear an audible “Listen”, but often when I am talking to someone I get this thought that I should really tune in to what the person is saying.  Not just the words they speak but the deeper underlying meaning in their heart.

Not sure if I am listening to this as well as I could have.  I am trying and practicing as often I am able.  I think I am getting better with age.

Can you hear me now?

2 comments:

  1. So true Eric,So often people butt in on conversations to tell a better and bigger story and leave the impression that they weren't listening at all. I too have been trying to listen without interrupting and to truly listen to what that person is saying. It has always been a pet peeve of mine when people have to butt in. I think when that happens you are really saying that that person is not worth listening too. I hope that I can be a better listener to my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You have two ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you speak"
    I really like what you said here pops, I really think alot of peope would rather talk about themselves, then listen to what others have to say, especially teens these days. I enjoyed reading this one

    ReplyDelete