Monday, March 15, 2010

The 50/17 Solution

Sometimes I wish I could go back to being 17.  It was easier then.  No heavy responsibilities of career, relationships or family.  I only needed to look out for number one.

On the other hand I like being 50.  There is much more that I am accountable for, but the rewards of enjoying the things that matter can be immensely pleasing.

So I want to write about being 17 (or so) with 50 years of experience.  Sort of a things I wish I knew when I was a teenager.  Things I wish I had known that would have altered my approach to the rest of my life.
Little or big things that would help me get through the tough times of my teenage years and beyond.

As a teenager I thought that old people, like people over 25, were out of touch with the realities of my generation and would not regard them with the respect that was due them. I believed they did not have a clue what it was like to be 17.  So I did my best to ignore them and rejected their attempted influence into my life.

Listening to people with experience is probably the first thing I wish I would have known better about.  Even though they were faced by a different set of circumstances, older people have faced the same challenges of life and have the ability of hindsight that may help a younger person should both be willing.

I hope this to be a blog where I can share some insights that could help teenagers should they chose to interact with what I write about.

Are you 17? What questions are you asking that maybe an experienced person might have some perspective and guidance into?

Are you 50? What stories and hindsight do you have that might aid young people in today’s difficult world?  And are you willing to listen to the youth of today and maybe learn more about life yourself?

This is my 50/17 solution.  Consider this a joint effort by youth and experience to help navigate life’s trials.  I invite you to join in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read all that you have to share! You have always provoked me to think "outside the box" - I'm looking forward to being challenged and entertained by your writing... Way to go! Dianna

    ReplyDelete